Pages

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Leaf WC Sketch


Playing with watercolor on a scrap of Strathmore's 400 Series Bristol paper while listening to Coldplay and doing laundry. (There HAS to be several things going on at once, or I'm not using my time right!) This could become my favorite watercolor "sketch" paper. I called the art supply store and asked if there was a heavier weight Bristol (this does buckle a little) and all they could offer was illustration board at about $18.00 per sheet. Uh, no. This is just fine.

On another note - my favorite pastel artist and workshop instructor, Paul deMarrais has a brand new website that you all should go visit. There's a couple of video interviews with him -- one of him at work, and another of him at his hobby of raising butterflies -- and you will be able to see what a great personality he brings to a workshop. There's also a section with how-to articles in html AND pdf format, so they're easy to download and read in whatever style you prefer. Here you go:
Paul deMarrais Pastels

P.S. Check out the new header! :-) And let me know if it doesn't look right on your computer screen...

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooooohhh...I like it very much. Watercolor on bristol. Hmmm. This has that certain crispiness to it that just looks like Autumn. Looks like a leaf just about to get brittle.

And I like the header too...

annie said...

I really like the leaf! And the new header looks good too!

Teri said...

I love the leaf and now I love them on your header. It is just gorgeous!

I never even considered watercolor on Bristol and it blows me away-I will have to try it also. Just happen to have some.

Teri said...

Oh, and I want to spend some time at Paul's site=looks very interesting and beautiful work.

Lin said...

GLORIOUSLY created fall Leaf, Linda!!! LOVE your watercolors!! Have a blast at the workshop!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful maple leaf! Makes me want to go out and buy some watercolor paper. I will check out the site of Paul deMarrais now.

jill said...

just beautiful! wish i could/would do a leaf like that and the create a heading for my blog . . . but i don't/can't seem to get it done!

Lynn said...

That leaf is absolutely stunning! And the new header is lovely. You are an inspiration.

MD said...

Oh my goodly goodness!!! This is just so stunning and I am deeply jealous of your ability to capture that leaf!!! I'm in the process of drawing a leaf a day...and this has left me gobsmacked. Lovely lovely painting.
MD

Linda said...

Oh, thanks to you all! I'm really having a great time with this hard shiny paper. And once I figured out the whole header bit (thanks, Diahn...) it has turned out to be EASY to change it. I'm even considering changing it seasonally... ;-)

Linda said...

Marie -- I'm giggling at the word gob-smacked, too. I just love that word! And your "leaf a day" was my inspiration for this...
:-)

Jana Bouc said...

Great colors you captured in this leaf. For some reason I haven't been seeing any pretty leaves around here. Maybe it was the one rainy day and then none.

Anonymous said...

I like the leaf and the shadow and the paper too. Good logo too.

Unknown said...

The leaf looks great Linda. I'm at my son's house and the banner looks great also.