Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Oh Canada!


We have returned from vacation -- we were "dropped off" into the middle of the wilderness in Ontario for a week of fishing and COMPLETE removal from the world at large. Right now I'm re-adjusting to the "real world" -- feeling way over-stimulated by traffic and crowds and general busy-ness, feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff here in my own house, even feeling a bit cooped up by the fence in my own back yard. Tomorrow is the return to work, and I'm just not sure how THAT'S going to go... Oh my, but what a wonderful week! The only thing we missed were the family members who weren't able to make the trip. We nearly missed our luggage, courtesy of NWA, but that's going to be the topic for tomorrow's post, I'm sure.

I did NOT get much art done on this trip -- but I did spend a fair amount of time contemplating my surroundings and just how I MIGHT do some art if I wasn't on a rocking boat coated with northern pike goo. I took some photos -- got my sister to take more -- planned and thought and now am crazy to get to work painting some of the weird scenery I saw up there. I don't know if it can be done, but I'm going to try, so look for it soon!

Here's a cool thing I found out. There are some bald eagles here, and loads of bald eagles up in Ontario, so I've heard them cry before. The first time I heard a bald eagle call I laughed, it was so high pitched and rather wimpy sounding compared to a hawk, and didn't seem to match the bird making the noise. Over the years I've gotten used to it, though. But -- THIS week -- for the very first time, and I heard it twice -- I heard a bald eagle SING. Not call out, or chirp, but sit in the tree and very sweetly and seriously SING A SONG. Who knew?**

Oh well. I will be working this week catching up on blogs, painting some paintings, washing up some nasty smelling laundry, and trying to get some things worked out with Northwest Airlines (who, if you haven't noticed yet, are currently on my short list...)


** Ornithologists know, I suppose, and my mother knew, because she had heard it before, too. I can't find an audio clip, though!

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Laureline said...

What an incredible thing to have done! I can't wait to hear more of the story. And welcome back!

Unknown said...

Welcome back, indeed! I missed ya! Nice sketch - can't wait to see photos, especially of the sky. And you only lost 2 lures (or was that just on one day?)...that's not too bad!!

Linda said...

Ha! I wondered who would notice that. No, the fishing count and the lure count was over about an hour period. The fishing gain (and lure loss) was MUCH greater than that per day! :-D

Unknown said...

Welcome back Linda!
Sounds like you had a wonderful time.
I would love to see a bald eagle someday.

Lindsay said...

Welcome back! Great story and I hope to hear more!

Teri said...

What a wonderful fun thing to do! Love the little sketch, it really reveals the beauty of where you were. I know exciting art will be the outset of this trip!

annie said...

Glad you are back! Can't wait to hear more about it all and to see what bubbles up to the surface as a result of this trip!

Lin said...

WELCOME HOME, LINDA!! I've missed your fine work -- and this one is just fabulous -- just evocative and inviting -- LOVE IT! And what a trip!! I can't wait to hear/see more!

Anonymous said...

A truly beautiful sketch. It sounds like a wonderful journey!