Pages

Monday, January 05, 2009

Just a Little Background

I started the background for my giant dahlia painting like this -- squiggles of paint straight onto the canvas -- and then added GAC 100 and smeared it all around...



...until is looked like this. After it dried, it seemed like there were too many brush strokes and lots of little "M" shapes (which may be something I do with the brush when I'm smearing things around), so I glazed it with another layer of blues and greens mixed with glazing fluid and GAC 100...


...which leaves me with this. I think it will work. If you look, you can see there are still some distinct "M" shapes, but the flower itself will cover that up. Tonight I'm going to start working the flower shape over this in white gesso, and we'll see how it goes from there. If it goes well I will show you guys in the next few days. If it goes badly, I'll just gesso the entire thing back to white and start over! I'm determined to knock out an acrylic painting or two.

So. Since we're at the boring art stage, here's a funny video. It's a week late, but cheers anyway!

6 comments:

Teri said...

It is always so wonderful when you explain what you are doing. You are really an explorer for the rest of us.

steviewren said...

Did I miss something...what is GAC 100? It makes a luminous background.

Unknown said...

GAC! Hee hee. It always makes me think of Bill the Cat.

Great colors - lovely M's. If you look carefully, you can see that you actually make them whilst squeezing the paint onto the canvas. mmmmmmm....

Just think of it as an extra signature...

Melinda Owens said...

I can't wait to see the finished product. I haven't visited in awhile, I need to pour a glass of wine tonight and catch up on all of your very eclectic posts! Happy New Year...

Linda said...

Doggone ... I DID make all those M shapes during the squiggle portion of things ...
:-D

And Steviewren -- GAC 100 (yes, it DOES sound like Bill the Cat -- Bill the Cat for President!!!) is an acrylic medium that you mix with the paint to thin and blend it. A lot of people use water, but water doesn't exactly BIND with the paint, whereas a medium does. It all depends on what you're going for.
:-)

mARTa said...

I've never heard of GAC100 either! Is it a retarder? a flowing medium? a glazing medium? a gloss medium? a matte medium? LOL, bill the cat!