Pages

Friday, January 16, 2009

Geeky Girl

Yep. I just can't resist a good techie gadget any more. When PC's first came out, I remember VERY CLEARLY saying, "No way am I ever getting one of those. Who needs one? What can it do that I can't do on paper? What a crazy waste of time and money." I resisted for a very long time.

Sigh. And then I bought a Vic 20 with a cassette drive. After that it was game on.

Back to the present....

Okay, so I figured out that I'd already saved enough money* to get that iPod touch I mentioned in an earlier post. I actually started saving in November when I got really mad at my brand new computer that crashed on me. It has been sitting in the closet waiting for me to take it to a True Geek to check out. I've just been so personally ANGRY at the darn thing that whenever I've started to get it out of the closet, I can't even talk to it and have to just slam the door. Yeah. My computer crashing has been a personal affront. Thank goodness I have the old model that still works well enough. SO I'd started saving for a new one. That's how mad I was. I considered buying another new computer rather than getting the NEW broken one fixed. I was that disgusted. **

Wanting a new techie toy took my mind off of my anger and made me get the computer out of the closet and get it to the True Geek who is looking at it now. And I took that saved up money and bought the new gadget. And right off, I downloaded the Brushes app, which turned out to be way harder to use than I thought or than that sweet little video shows. Still, I'm beginning to get the hang of it. Just blending colors is a trick, and it takes a whole different mind set. But it sure was nice to have it with me on the way home from work the other evening when the sunset was just spectacular. I pulled over and did this ... and was happy.


*I am a cash person, so if I'm going to get a new toy, I have to save for it. It is amazing how fast you can save when you have something in particular in mind ...
** It is doubtful that I would have actually purchased another computer without having the crashed model checked out. I mean, there's like a 95% chance that I wouldn't have. I'm not frivolous, just stubborn. Really.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Teri said...

You are a hoot! You are so techy I don't even know what an apps is. But maybe I should find out, sounds like fun.

Big smile on my face.

steviewren said...

What program are you using? Nice job blending. I use Photoshop. I'm not even half way knowledgeable about it. There is so much to learn. But I love working with it. I use it to tweak sketches and stuff like that.

Unknown said...

Well Linda you got me curious. Now I have to check out iPod brushes. I can see you pulling over more often now and painting for reference. :)

annie said...

Hee Hee! You go girl!

Linda said...

:-) Teri -- an "app" is an application -- like a computer program!
Steviewren -- it is the "Brushes" application for the iPod touch or iPhone -- and you "paint" with your finger on the screen.
Toni -- I'm at least able to use it for quick color studies, which you can't do with a pen sketch
And Annie -- I even used it to sketch a lucky bamboo on my desk the other day while I was on a conference call. I figure after a few more calls, I'll have the "painting" done!
:-D

Melinda Owens said...

I love that you're new and old school at the same time. I, too, love pencil and paper and resisted a computer for a long time...hell, I just got a cellphone a few years ago. Don't even get me started about Facebook...which I realize isn't a gadget but still, facebook? It's neither my FACE or a BOOK...discuss amongst yourselves.