Pages

Saturday, April 29, 2006

First Lines of Backyard Sketch

Several people have asked how in the world I drew the chipmunk in the previous post, and I have to be sure that nobody thinks I actually drew that much detail in one sitting. This is the original sketch, with the bird detailed quite a bit more than the original few lines, and the chipmunk's ears started. I scanned it at this point for my sister's benefit, because I KNEW she would ask -- it wasn't really intended for everyone to see, but since it's been brought up ...

I was fortunate to spot the little chipmunk just a few feet away from me while I was sitting with my sketchbook in my lap. He froze for a few seconds -- long enough for me to do a quick few lines blind contour style, and remember enough for a few more lines after he dived down into the hole. I found reference photos for the coloration from this point, and then went back to his hole to draw the ground. Now, if you look closely, you'll see that the chipmunk could as easily have been a squirrel if I'd "fleshed it out" a little differently ... and don't let an ornithologist get CLOSE to that bird drawing, because he would probably tell you it's not a bluebird at all, no matter what color it is! And, looking at the bird, you'll notice that there are several different lines for the ovals of the head and body, and I really have no idea what a bluebird's beak really looks like -- the bird itself is really pretty generic! :-D Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Lin said...

GENERIC? SEMERIC! These are fabulous sketches, Linda! BRAVA!

Karen said...

Thank you. I'm still impressed that you got that much in just a few seconds. Guess it just goes to show what years of practice can do for you.
BS Karen

Linda said...

Okay, Baby Sister Karen -- I'll give you that much! Practice IS the key! :-)
Lin -- I'm going to have to go look up semeric -- ;-D You are always so supportive and cheerful! I hope we get to meet one day for a sketchcrawl!

Anonymous said...

Linda I'm glad you posted the sketch as it was before the colours were added. It's really interesting to see the process behind the artwork, sometimes. I agree with Lin, they ARE fabulous sketches!

Willie Baronet said...

I love your sketches! And to your point on my blog: yes, more men SHOULD retreat. :-)

Jen said...

Hi Linda - wonderful use of artistic license! Your colouring is very well done.
Jen

ken said...

I spend hours trying to perfect bill shapes and the curves of a bird's head, but they never look as good (to me) as quick, spontaneous sketches, so I really like the bluebird sketch.
Showing us the stages of the process was fascinating too, I love to see how an artist goes about building a picture.
Regards

Unknown said...

And don't let her fool you, folks - she really is fast. She can do 4 sketches (that look really good) to my 1. Linda - you should make a video! Or maybe I will - and post it on my blog :-) nothing else is going on there lately...

Linda said...

Thank you all for your comments!

Karen Sandstrom said...

These are gorgeous, and if they weren't in your sketchbook you could frame them.