Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Half Peony


Sorry to have disappeared like that -- I've been sick since Sunday (nothing terrible) and haven't done anything to write home about -- or, at least to write to you guys about.

Today I ended up staying home from work (which always feels like a WASTE) and by afternoon I was feeling a bit better and a whole lot bored, so I had to try doing a little something. I spent about 30 minutes laying some washes on this -- went and rested -- came back and did some squiggles in the background -- good enough for today. Hopefully I'll be able to carry through with this one without mucking it up too badly. The composition is, well, iffy, and I knew that from the beginning; but quite frankly, I felt kind of iffy myself at the time and decided that the painting could always be cropped. Composition by elimination, if you know what I mean.

By the way, since it is kind of in an unrecognizable state, it is a peony -- actually one of the peonies that started from these buds shown earlier.

For a truly beautiful peony, if you haven't already seen my friend Zelma's wonderful painting, please go see it now -- HERE. She is not only a great artist, but has a calm & steady hand, incredible focus, and more patience than anyone I know!

P.S. I have done something everyday in May, despite everything, even if it is more doodles than sketches. They're around here somewhere. Don't ask me to go get them. Whew.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

steviewren said...

Wow! I've really missed seeing your watercolors. I just read back through all I missed while my computer was in the hospital. Your daily sketches and experiments with watercolors is very interesting. You make me want to pull out my paint this coming weekend.

Teri said...

Oh geez, it's already beautiful!! Glad you are better now.

Unknown said...

This is looking great! I can't wait to see it finished!

Feel better...

Zelma said...

I love it Linda AND I agree with Diahn...I want to see it when it is finished!

Notes from a Virtual Easel said...

I don't know what you are talking about, Linda. This is lovely.

Laura Frankstone said...

Even if you never finish it, you've done some really bravura brushwork there, Ms L---and that counts for a whole lot in my book.
Hope you feel better, dear buddy.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Lovely, juicy ... full of life. I like this a lot.. even unfinished.

Linda said...

Thank you all! You're very encouraging!