Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Palette

Well, I missed the pastel workshop today, which was a real bummer. Hopefully Paul will do another one close by sometime again soon!

This evening I did finally get the watercolor palette refilled. Here's my basic layout...

I've been looking at Rose Madder Genuine, which I just love, but there are questions about it's use, since it is possibly a somewhat fugitive pigment. (Check HERE for handprint.com, one of the very best references out there on the web.) I've never noticed a problem with it at all, but it's interesting to try to figure out a possible replacement. Who knows -- I may find something I like much better! Tonight, I put it next to Permanent Carmine, and was surprised to see how close the colors appeared. I'm looking forward to seeing the dried swatches in the morning light. I'm also thinking that using the Permanent Carmine with a little gum arabic would mimic that slippery, rootsy feel of Rose Madder. Nothing can mimic its scent (nice and earthy yet sweet -- my favorite watercolor perfume.)

(Feeling just a tad better. Now am on loverly meds. Whoopee.)

4 comments:

William F. Renzulli said...

Impressive! Now if it will just inspire me to clean up my own mess.

Teri said...

Thanks for showing your palette layout because I rather haphazardly lay mine out. Hmmm, maybe that's why I can't find the right colors :)

Linda said...

:-D Teri, I keep mine always in the exact same layout. That way I grab whatever color I want with just barely a glance.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of that scene in Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House where the wife is describing in great detail the paints she wants for each room. Giving the painter the robin's egg and thread to match shades. When she walks away the painter says to his assistant, you got that? Yeah, blue, green, yellow. :D