Pages

Friday, November 02, 2007

Languishing Art

Languishing in my living room is a pastel piece (about 1/3 of the way done) that I just can't bring myself to finish. Fortunately, I'm going to a pastel workshop in a couple of weeks and plan to bring it with me for advice. Here is my reference photo -- taken from the window of a moving car from our trip to Canada a few months ago (has it already been a few months ago?)



And here is what I've gotten down so far...


I'm kind of attached to the painting to date, blocky and rough as it is, and think I'm paralyzed by the fear that I'll mess it up. Isn't that silly? It's just in the way, sitting there on the easel in an incomplete state. I might as well have messed it up for all the good its doing there.

I also wonder if I'm not more attached to the idea of painting a place that gives me such a great feeling. Maybe the concept of painting Canada is what I'm attached to. Maybe we'll talk some more about concept tomorrow...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

ooohhh...concept...

tricky.

Nice start on that lovely place, btw.

Anonymous said...

A very familiar feeling...afraid to mess up...It looks good so far and I think the finished painting is going to be a stunner ! You just keep going - actually sometimes, it is the fear that helps us achieve our best.
I'm looking forward to the end result
Ronell

William F. Renzulli said...

I'm always stopping in my work...afraid of taking on the next step for fear of messing up. It helps to have 2 or3 pieces in progress at the same time so I can move from one to another, usually different mediums.

The work in progress looks great and I'm betting it will look iven better when your finished.

Lin said...

Keep going, Linda -- this is so pretty!!!! Can't wait to see it done -- it'll be fabulous, great foundation!

Teri said...

I can relate to that feeling although I don't do a lot of 'finished' work.

What you have so far is beautiful! So just go for it, it can only get more beautifuler and finisheder :)

Anonymous said...

I too can't wait to see the finished piece. I love the colors you have so far -- it's always interesting to see a reference photo next to the piece, and what the artist chooses to change based on memory or imagination.