Pages

Monday, January 21, 2008

The Artist Is Exhausted


Well, it's been a busy weekend. Recently several other friends have shared photos of their art spaces, so I thought I would do the same, now that it's halfway presentable.

In my living room, where I also am set up to paint, I had a piano that I didn't play very often. This past Wednesday, it found a good home, giving me a little extra space and some good re-arranging options. I cleared everything out of the back half of the room, getting rid of a lot of junk and the art supplies I don't use anymore, sorting and shelving and storing the supplies I want to keep in a way that lets me get to them when I need them, and then started re-arranging furniture. I moved my drawing table to the wall where the piano was ...



... I moved the double sided bookcase straight across the room (it also kind of divides the room -- a custom job that I really like) and cleared most of the supplies OUT of my work area, saving the space for pens and pencils and whatever I'm actually working on at the time. The bookshelf used to be so stuffed full of stuff that I couldn't really get to anything. I was so surrounded that I couldn't think to paint. Now I feel like my head will be a bit clearer, and I'll be able to FOCUS better.

Here's the wall behind me, where the drawing table used to be. I got the two large pieces of foam core (they are 60" x 40") to clip artwork to so that I can see it and worry about it .... I mean, PONDER it. They are light weight enough that I can move them around easily and were cheap enough to throw away or cut up if they don't work the way I think they will. Psssst ... Laura ... see the stereo? :-)

I'll try hard not to giggle when I call it my gallery area.
(giggle)

Just around the corner is a large hall closet where I used to sketch and draw and wandered the dark side of scrapbooking, etc. I've reformed.

It had been piled with extra stuff, and tended to be the closet where things got tossed when people didn't know what to do with them or when company pulled unexpectedly into the driveway.

You do it, too... admit it.

It is still in the process of being cleared, but is mostly done and a lot of supplies have been put in here. I also have a place to plug in my laptop for work and do (shudder) "real" work.

Half the drawers are full of rubber stamps, souvenirs from the dark side. They are going up for sale, so if you are interested, e-mail me! I'm talking cheap!

The plan is to have it all neat and organized by the end of next weekend.

Still, I'm going to have to do a non-fish painting tonight or tomorrow -- but for now, I'm exhausted!

(Note -- I just call rubber stamping "The Dark Side" because it kind of "gets you". Some of my best friends are rubber stampers. And I'll be keeping some of my favorite stamps, I don't care if I ever use them again or not! ;-)

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love see other people's spaces. Now I have a picture of you in my mind, sitting at that little desk painting away. Foamcore is a great idea. I used it for design wall when I quilt.

http://janeysjourney.com

Teri said...

Thanks for the tour! Now I am dripping with jealousy and green with envy. (Packer green that is :)

It all looks so wonderful from my little studio in my laundry room. And I see some wonderful art around those walls. When do we get the art show tour?

annie said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I really need to get in my little art room and get it organized. Things just seemed to blossom and get out of control overnight!

I might be interested in a stamp or two. Until recently I have resisted the stamping temptation. Mostly I would like stamps that could be used for backgrounds in a collage. I'm just not sure I should take on any more stuff until I get what I have straightened out.

Laura Frankstone said...

I see, I see! Now tell us what music you listen to!
Your idea to use foamboard as portable gallery walls is fantastic.
I like seeing your workspace!

William F. Renzulli said...

There are few blessings greater than a studio of ones own.

Unknown said...

Oh, it looks great, Linda! Nice work! And the piano is resting comfortably. And being used to annoy small children and dogs.

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the peek into your studio!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour...it looks great and busy in productive in your creative space!
Ronell

Linda said...

Hey Janie! Foamcore is wonderful. I discovered it quite by accident, when I got a large piece to mount some paper on to do a full size portrait, and then just never got around to it.
Teri -- Next year -- the Pack will do it next year!! Most of the art sitting around has been shown, I think, unless it isn't finished yet. :-)
Annie -- I'm pulling some stamps out just for you. I think I have some that would fit right in with your fantastic collage style.
Laura -- the music depends on the day and what I'm working on. It might be Andrea Bocelli, or Rusted Root, or Sammy Hagar, or Led Zepplin, or Regina Spektor. I LOVE music just about as much as I love art. If I could sing worth a flip nobody would be able to shut me up! ;-O
Bill -- you've got that right. I don't take the time to stop and appreciate my space often enough. And even if I don't have the coveted sink in the room, I have two perfectly good legs that can walk me into the kitchen very easily. Life is good.
Diahn -- glad the piano is happy again! Small dogs and medium children are soooo much fun to annoy. It seems fair, somehow.
Lindsay and Ronell -- thanks for stopping by. :-)

Scarlett said...

Cool pictures, I love the foam core idea....mmm.

I would be interested in any quirky stamps you might have, I am looking beyond the curtain in that direction and it sure looks . . .

Unknown said...

I'm late to the party! Viewing that is. Fun to see your work space.

Felicity Grace said...

Great post and so funny! Of course I hide things and somehow can never remember where I threw them! I've seen the dark side too but I couldn't get rid of my rubber stamps, there is something so satisfying about just looking at them! Wish I hadn't spent *quite* so much money on them though...

I second Laura, what DO you listen to??