Pages

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Fourth!

So, I'm working on a painting of a cow, of all things. We saw her just off a local rural interstate exit, and I just fell in love with her. (So sweet eyed and creamy white that I've even named her -- Miss Vanilla Cupcake -- although sometimes I call her Miss Vanilla Cream Tart -- at any rate there's a general name thing happening here between the two of us.)

Of course, I looked like a crazy person, out there in the middle of the country, climbing around in the weeds taking photos of COWS ... just waiting for somebody to come up and say, "What's the matter there, girlie? Ain't you never seen a cow before?"


And actually, I find that while I've seen plenty of cows, I've never actually SEEN one before trying to draw this one. What a skull these animals have! It's going to take a lot of sketching before I'm ready to paint. (Weirdly I begin to understand some artists' fascination with cows ...)

And click here for something REALLY special that I've saved to the Fourth of July holiday. Artists, you will love this video -- how a very very special woman uses her art in an amazing way.

And -- Diahn is on Moleskinerie! Wow, that girl gets around, doesn't she!

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

annie said...

I love the beginning of your cow portrait!

And the video was very moving. What a lovely thing for her to do. I am glad you posted the link.

Teri said...

Oh gosh, did you hear me laughing? I can JUST see you crawling around taking photos. What fun. This is already great.

I must tell you though, cows are really a Wisconsin thing and I should be doing one also :)

Lin said...

Linda!! I LOVEYOUR COW!! They are charming, aren't they! But hon, I just wept at the video ... mercy mercy .... Thank you for sharing it .... especially today.

biteyourowntail said...

I love cows. And that is a superb drawing - there's a real sense of you having caught her just before she moves off to graze.

Lindsay said...

I adore cows. They have such sweet, milk-making natures. Lovely sketch and can't wiat to see the painting.

Lindsay said...

That vidio was very powerful. Thanks for sharing.

Jana Bouc said...

Ms Vanilla is delightful. I can't wait to see the painting. I know what you mean about not seeing something until you draw it!

Shelly McC said...

Fantastic art everywhere on this blog! Love this drawing esp.!

juj said...

Your post is delightful - I couldn't help but giggle. I really like your cow sketch. Especially the line work on the hips. Cows have such great hips don't they?

Anonymous said...

What a darling she is. I'm looking forward to the painting as well.

Tracy said...

ohhhh- what a sweet face on Miss Vanilla Cupcake! She has a beautiful expression - what an amazing thing to capture in a sketch. and indeed she has a pretty head - and ears! i loved reading your description of you climbing around takin pics. i'm sure i'd get the same reaction around here LOL - although too many farms have sold out to developers and with them went the cows i just loved to look at and listen to in the early morning. good luck with the painting - can't wait to see it!